Sunday, May 18, 2008

Vegan Zucchini Banana Bread



Here's a new post after more than a week. I've decided to experiment with vegan
baking this time. I started with a regular banana bread recipe and adjusted the ingredients until I got this. I must admit that it turned out a little dense in consistency so I think this recipe still needs a little tweaking:

Vegan Zucchini Banana Bread

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp corn starch
4 very ripe bananas (or 1-3/4 cups)
1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini

2 Tbsp sesame seeds

Shred zucchini and mash the ripe bananas.


Mix together canola oil, sugar, whole wheat flour, baking soda, corn starch, and sea salt.


Add the mashed bananas...


...and the shredded zucchini.


Mix thoroughly.


Transfer batter into a a baking pan and top with sesame seeds.


Bake for about 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean after insertion.


Allow to cool and slice.


Enjoy plain or serve with apple sauce:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

fab pics! ...do you think it would be possible to replace the oil with something else, like applesauce, to make the loaf fatfree?

Anonymous said...

quite tempting indeed!

Anonymous said...

O that looks so good. the sesame seeds are such a novel touch!

Unknown said...

Hey! This looks so good! I saw your recipe on tastespotting.com. I'm going to have to try it as soon as I can get my hands on some zucchini! I wonder what other vegetables you could use in this recipe... Keep the vegan recipes coming!
Cheers,
Marcos

Jeemer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeemer said...

Thank you all for your comments. I have suddenly become intrigued by vegan and fat free cuisines so there will probably be more experiments in the future. The applesauce replacement is a great idea, I'll have to try that. As for other vegetables, I was thinking of possibly using carrots or other squashes...like kabocha squash:)